Monday, December 7, 2009

More Teaching Experiences

The student who told me that her father told her that he was proud of her asked if I would be willing to teach her 11-year-old nephew and some friends on the weekends. I really hesitated because Saturday is really our only free day and they wanted 2 hours. I finally agreed that if they would come here from 7:30-9:00 AM we would do it. (Jane tutors a girl until 9:00 so I didn't think we would be leaving before that, anyway.) I told her that we would be gone many Saturdays but they still really wanted me to do it.

Today I got an e-mail from her and I'll include part of the message. I spend a little time each day in class reading a story, talking about a quote or discussing something that I hope will help them to be receptive if and when the opportunity comes. I don't call it anything with them but my lesson plan is labeled "character building" at that spot.

"...we just wanted to let the children can talk with you longer,developing their oral English and learning how to become a good boy. I like your classes not only because of the useful knowledge but also the things which can make me reflect upon what I had done in my past, understand my current situation and problems and then know how to arrange my life wisely.I told it to my aunt and she told the other parents.they thought you're a very good teacher and as parents they also wanted their son to learn with you.You know,many oral English teacher just talk something to the children, few can tell them to be grateful and so on."

I'm hoping that the ripples will keep flowing.

No comments: