Friday, January 24, 2014

Visit from April & Gabe Zhao

            The student that I got the closest to in China was Tracy Shan.  She came to the apartment each week with her nephew and friends while I tutored the boys in English and she helped to interpret.  When I broke my finger she helped us with the hospital and getting situated.  We got to know her aunt and had dinner in their home.
            Last night we were able to have her Aunt April and Gabe, her nephew (the boy that I taught at 11 who is now nearly 15)  come for dinner and to spend the night.  It has been a delight to visit with them again.
            We learned of family background that I have never heard before and I want to write it down before I forget the details.
            Tracy's grandfather was a military doctor in China and her grandmother had a lot of family money.  They were very highly recognized in the society in Qingdao and China.  They had three daughters: April, who is Gabe's mother; Tracy's mother and a third sister who is the mother of twin boys.
            Tracy's grandfather was assigned to be the physician for an important general in the Chinese army but when Mao took over his people believed that this general must be bad and they wanted the doctor to tell them things about him to justify their treatment of him.  He refused and said that he was simply his doctor and couldn't speak about the doctor's personal character. 
            Because of this the doctor was sent out into the country to work in a hospital where he was treated as a lower class person.  He didn't want his wife and three daughters to suffer the same so had her stay in Qingdao.  Eventually he got cancer and he returned to Qingdao and died (I believe it was in 1983). 
            I have seen movies and read books that tell stories similar to this but it has always seemed so distant in time and history.  I don't think that I have ever recognized that it was my generation that these things happened to.  Mike and I were already married and I had all five of my children by 1983. 
            This morning it is so real and personal to me.  Although I have never met this wonderful grandmother she sent me food when I had broken my finger.  She is only 3 1/2 years older than me.   I have met two of her daughters and all of her grandchildren.  I know how involved in her families lives she is and what a wonderful, strong woman she is. 
            I feel like a new chapter of compassion and understanding for the Chinese people that I love so very much has opened.  I'm grateful that the door of friendship didn't close with our flight back to the USA.

1 comment:

Laurel said...

very cool. when you were in China, would you have ever thought that they would be sitting in your home?