This is a picture of the lake taken from the campground that we stayed in. There were very few fishermen or boats at any time during the weekend. We were quite surprised because people always talk about the great fishing a Fish Lake.
It is a very cold lake so there is so swimming or water skiing. It is 170 feet deep at its deepest point and is 5.5 miles long and 1.5 mile wide. It is at an elevation of 8,843 feet. I was having some trouble breathing and finally realized that I was in a much higher altitude.
One of the interesting things that we saw on a drive is this historical marker for the Old Spanish Trail. I loved the metal images the were near the information.
We went on two long rides on the mule and I took lots of pictures. Here are a few.
We went to the Fish Lake Lodge, which was built in 1928 out of logs, for a very good prime rib dinner. It is rather humorous that when I pulled up images of fish lake lodge there were the cabins around it and other pictures but no pictures of the lodge. It is quite run-down looking and needs a new roof. I thought that there might be a picture from a distance but I didn't find one that really shows what it looks like.
On Sunday we went down to Loa to go to church. There are four couples in that ward that are on our temple shift so it was fun to visit their ward. My, what an amazing old building it was. The original building was built in 1906. It used to have a balcony that went around the entire chapel but was remodeled and the front section was removed. I don't have pictures that do it justice but it was quite an amazing place. Our 80+ friend told me that he used to play basketball in the gym that was under the chapel. There is an elevator just inside the lower door for those who can't climb all of those stairs. There was lovely carving on the ends of the benches. The windows were opened to let the cool breeze flow in and it was quite an experience to enjoy.
This little building was across the street from the church. We didn't take the time to go are read the label but it had a historic register sign on it. I'm sure that it was either a Relief Society building or a Bishop's Storehouse.
After the three hour block we drove back to the trailer and cooked lunch. There was a very long and heavy rainstorm soon after and we enjoyed just sitting in the trailer and reading.


.jpg)









1 comment:
I wonder if Lynne's family still owns their cabin at fish lake. Had a fun time there once.
Post a Comment