Saturday, December 6, 2014

An UP and down week!

I'm going to mix the events of the week up so the order of events will be scrambled but hopefully it will all get there.

Before we even left Utah we had received an invitation to a Couples Conference for yesterday and today.  I was SO excited to go and meet some other missionaries and learn a bit more about what we could be doing, etc.  We aren't even clear about whether we can go to the grocery store without suit and dress.  This was to be what I had hoped to get some idea of in the MTC.  But alas, it seems that Merlene is not designed to have training.  We had a lovely dinner and silly gift exchange ending with a testimony meeting last night and today was to be the day of sharing.

I woke up not feeling well and it just continued to get worse and worse.  It was similar in some ways to my days in the apartment while Mike attended the MTC but  it was shorter and more intense. It started the same way with throwing up and then it all happened.  I was in so much pain that I was perspiring from every pore in my upper body.  Water was running down my forehead into my eyes, my hair was dripping and I had to take off a drenched top.  Thankfully that lasted only about 30 minutes, however.  Now I'm mostly just exhaused with some quick trips.

But--- we had to miss the part of the conference I was looking so forward to.  We left with no new ideas and no questions answered. After the conference we were all invited to a Creche display in a chapel in Springfield that is sponsored by all of the Stakes in the area.  Our Ward Choir was to sing at 2:30 and I was planning to sing with them, too.  But alas------

  Perhaps we are just to find our own way in our own world.  The few things that were mentioned in the testimony meeting sounded like they were passing out cards and doing basically what the young elders are doing.

The town we are serving in is about twice the size of Mt. Pleasant or about the size of Ephraim without Snow College.  Other little town in the area are also a part of the Ward.  We want to support the Elders not compete with them. 

We both feel like our place is more to help the ward members to learn to be missionaries (visiting teachers, home teachers, etc.  The home teaching percentage in Oct. was 19%) and to be a positive influence in the community.

Monday - Actually P-Day but we spent the middle of the day helping hand out food at the local food pantry.  They needed up and seemed to appreciate having us there.

Tuesday - We helped to prepare the Senior's lunch.  They didn't need us.  There were almost as many in the kitchen as there were eating but at least we were there and trained to help when they do need us.  That night we drove and drove out into the trees on roads that eventually became dirt roads to invite a couple who got baptized a few years ago to the Ward Christmas party.  She asked if they were really invited even though they hadn't been coming to church and I told her that they were especially invited because of that.  I told her that if she didn't know anyone there I would have her sit by me.  I designed and printed some little flyers for the Elders to use to advertise a Scripture Study class that they will be having on Wednesday evenings.  We'll be there, too, but want to be the support.

Wednesday - We worked two shifts at the food pantry and tried to go and visit a brother who owns a pawn shop and is inactive.  He was gone to Portland so we'll have to try again.  Mike did talk with him on the phone the day before.

Thursday - This was the up. Although it was raining all day I was able to get this quick shot of the Portland temple before we went in.  It was SO nice to be in the temple again, although it was a very different experience from the live sessions in Manti.



 The temple has a lovely atrium that has poinsettias mixed with other lovely plants.  These two Elders are the ones serving in our Ward.  They rode up with us and talked us into taking them to the Cheesecake Factory afterward.  Elder Blair is from American Fork and Elder Chang is from Kona, Hawaii.  They are a great team.





I didn't realize that we could take pictures IN the temple but they did allow it in the atrium. 
Friday - We had a full morning zone meeting in the morning and I'll post notes of that in my diary. We came home and baked cookies so that we could share our idea at the couples conference but they are still in the car since the sharing time was today. 

On Wednesday evening our Ward mission leader called and said that he would like us to visit every active family in the ward and give them a short family home evening and encourage member missionary work and give tips.  He feels that some of them may be more comfortable with us than the young elders.  We have a wonderful, short video and handout asking if we have room for Christ in our lives with a quote by President Monson and another by Elder Maxwell.  I also have a craft for the children where they can make a room and label different things like pass along cards, praying, etc. that they can do to make room for the Savior.

No comments: