Our first adventure of this day was to visit the Damnoen Saduak Floating Market. I tws so interesting to see how hundreds of farmers and villagers had either booths at the side of the canal or Sampan boats loaded with all kinds of products. There were hats, clothes, fruits, vegetables, freshly cooked foods, coconut ice cream and all kinds of other things. Many of the "shoppers" were tourists but I did see some getting a few eggs, some bananas, etc. so I am sure they were actually shopping.
The boats are quite flat and not very deep and the benches are only about 6 inches high. Sitting on one of those benches would require my knees to be at my chin so I had to sit in the front and put my legs out in front of me. You had to step off the dock into the center of the boat so that you wouldn't tip it over. I must have been something to watch. I think I looked a bit like a Buddha belly the way I fit on the bench. You can see how Mike and Raff's knees were bent.
I have many pictures of things along the way.
By the time we got close to unloading the whole canal was jammed with people. I said, "Traffic jam" and the little girl facing me laughed and said, "Yes, traffic jam."
We drove back into the city and went to a four-story mall called Robinson's and ate in the food court. Each person just got a plastic card and the could go to any of the booths and get what they wanted and gave the worker the card. When you left you paid the total that had been put on the card. It was really a great way to run a food court instead of paying at each place and it allowed you to get your meal from various places.
We drove to another province of Thailand to see a tourist sight built with more of the history of the country but the price for daytime and for tourists was so high that Wisan didn't want to stay. We went, instead to a crocodile farm. It must have been a busy place in it's day because the there was a huge area that would seat several hundred for the elephant show. Most of it was pretty run down and it was obvious that the seats had been painted at least 5 times.
We walked through the crocodile farm, saw a show where two guys stuck their heads in the crocodile mouth, etc. and them watched the elephant show for a few minutes. It was beyond it's day of excitement.
They claimed that there were 100,000 crocodiles there. It seems unbelievable but it is probably true.
Next we went to the aviary. It was really quite a sad place to me. The birds were pretty but were chained so that they couldn't fly. I do love that I got this picture of Raff and Wisan there, however.
It was a fun thing when Raff told me that he had never really heard is father-in-law speak English before. He said that even when he spoke in English to him he would return his comments in Thai. This had been a new experience for them.
It was then time to drive to the hotel where we were gathering with everyone for dinner and a night of fun and karaoke. Wanee (Aoy) who was Mike's student's husband has a band that plays at the hotel every night. The name of his band is "The Saints". Aoy, Tum, Supreeda, Raff, Wi, Noi and Wisan all gathered with us for a delightful dinner and evening of fun.
Noi and Supreeda
Supreeda, Noi, and Wi
Wi and Raff
Wisan and Noi --- Wi told me that she had never heard her father sing before.Merlene and Noi
Supreeda
Mike Merlene Raff Wi
Aoy Tum Noi Wisan
WHAT A NIGHT TO REMEMBER!
Supreeda drove us home and we met the bus to the airport at 4AM and arrived home 30 hours later.
With flights, hotels, insurance, meals, gas for Supreeda's car, money to Raff for being our tour guide, entrance fees, taxis, train, boats, little gifts and my leather purse we spent under $3000 including our hotel, food and parking in SLC before the flight. What a marvelous week!







2 comments:
Totally jealous of your boat tour. What a once in a lifetime experience! Kate likes the baby crocodiles!
Gabe is jealous of you getting to see the crocks and elephants! Looks like an amazing trip!
Post a Comment