Wednesday, January 10, 2018

A Weekend at Home Before Tikal

On Saturday several of the missionary couples went to the movies and saw "Wonder".  I thought that it was extremely well done and a touching story.  Sadly there is so much bullying in this day and age. Not only did you get the story of the boy that the story was about but others in his life and how his challenges influenced them. It is wonderful to even hope that changes in people's hearts and behavior see beyond the surface.  I stole this from Larry Jenson's post.  He and his wife are the two eating popcorn at the bottom.  (I had not pictures for this blog post and thought that readers needed a bit of color.)



Sadly my hands are still having a very unpleasant season. I tried Benzedrine on the trip and it was useless. The two doctors that I talked to at the weaving place told me that you just need to let it run it's course but I am praying that isn't TOO long.  It seems to always happen at night so I am without sleep as well as in pain.  I was up most of Saturday night and once I fell asleep I must have been really out.  I woke up about 9:20 and Mike had gone to Church without me.  I did get up to have something to eat but he claims that I was sleeping when he got home.

At church that day a new bishop was called.  He is a fellow from Texas that is totally bilingual and probably in his 30's. He works at the American Embassy but when I chatted with him a few weeks ago I got the idea that it is probably a support position. (He indicated that he did not have a high paying job.) The bishop that was released had been bishop three times and his wife is suffering from cancer.  I'm sure that he is grateful for the change.

My hands were feeling better in the evening and I had made the dessert that we were to bring to the "Break the Fast" dinner at the area offices held for all of the senior missionaries in the area so we decided to go.  We sat with a very interesting couple who own a private English speaking school here and also have a humanitarian project.  They make a calendar each year with wonderful pictures of Guatemala.  He is a pilot and their son-in-law is a photographer and between them the have some wonderful pictures. Each missionary couple has been given a calendar.  We have the 2017 and 2018.  They told us that this would be their last calendar. 




No comments: