Chris Britsch retired this year and I thought that it would be nice to plan another trip which included her and Royden. Most of the other trips and get togethers have been just the eight older siblings/spouses.
We came up with the idea of meeting in Cedar City, staying at a B & B together, seeing some plays and a few meals together. Different people did different things and saw different plays.
On Thursday evening all of them, at various widely differing times, had bought tickets to "Charley's Aunt" but we had no idea that they all were going to do so and we had planned a get-together with the Bybees, Halladays, Marshalls, and Marion Whitney. The Marshalls had to cancel but we had a wonderful time visiting with those friends and we got to see the Bybee's new one-level home. He is not doing well and has fallen a few times with just the few stairs that they had in their other house.
One of the "tension points" which I had never imagined would be a problem was that the hostess asked us whether we would like an 8:30 or 9:30 breakfast. Royden and Chris, Mike and Merlene, and David like to do something before 10:30 in the morning and we are used to eating about 7 AM so even 8:30 was later for us. There was NO giving on the part of Judy, little from Charlotte and Lanny and Shirley really wanted to sleep in so we split into two groups for the first breakfast. Royden and Chris took off to do some hiking and we went to see a friend but that was highly frowned upon by Charlotte because we were not staying with the group.
My thinking in getting reservations at a B&B was that at least we would all sit down to those two breakfasts, the dinner at Rusty's and the final play together but it was clear that if we were to have breakfast together who would need to change.
David took his medicine on an empty stomach while waiting and was not feeling well at all at the late breakfast. But we were all at the table together, had good conversation and then went out and had the picture that is above snapped.
I am the self-appointed social chair for the group but think that I need to learn some lessons if I am going to arrange things in the future. Breakfast times should be whenever people want them and the start of the day together should be sometime after the early risers return and the late risers have finished their breakfast.
As I say, that was the only tension point and I write it mostly to remember for the future. Different people saw different plays except for Friday night when I had bought a block of tickets for the "Taming of the Shrew" which Fred Adams directed in the final year of the outdoor stage. Mike and I saw Amadeus, South Pacific and the Taming of the Shrew. They were all so different and sll excellent.
We got home around 2 PM yesterday. It has been our Stake Conference weekend and there was one note that I took that I wanted to share. Our Stake Patriarch spoke of the "Three Bear's" that we all need to obey. 1- Bear the name of Jesus Christ 2- Bear the burdens of others 3- Bear the burdens of Christ.
I just read a very interesting story about an early mission president in Samoa and Tonga. I believe that this took place about 1912 and President Nelson was only 23 years old. It is long but a very inspiring story to me.
Taken from the book
" Nelson Family History" -
John Nelson had served as Mission President in Samoa and Tonga and his
daughters asked him to record the following story which he did in 1953.
March 15, 1953 President John A Nelson
My Dear Daughters,
Inasmuch as you girls
have written and asked me to write some of
the experiences of my
life, and Ruth has asked just recently, that
I tell the story of
receiving the Tongan language as a gift from the
Lord (which in my way
of thinking is the greatest experience and
testimony of my life)
I will write this story to you today.
In order to give you
the background why the Lord gave me the
gift of speaking the
Tongan language, I would like to mention a
little of my work as
a Missionary in the Samoan Mission up to
the time of receiving
this gift.
The Tongan Islands,
also known as the Friendly Islands, at this
time were under the
direction of the Samoan Mission. There had
been an uprising
among the natives, which necessitated the First
Presidency of the
Church withdrawing the missionaries from the
Tongan Mission. Later
on, when the people quieted down and
were not so war-like,
the President of the Samoan Mission received
instruction from the
First Presidency to send missionaries from
Samoa to preach the
gospel.
The missionary work
to Tonga was carried on this way for many
years. The Mission
President would go from Samoa every three
months to hold
conferences with the Tongan saints and the missionaries
assigned there. Many
of the Saints had remained true to
the faith for many
years, without any missionaries to keep them
on the straight and
narrow path. When the missionaries came
back from Tonga, they
had learned to speak the native Tongan
language. However,
the President of the Mission lived in Samoa,
an expanse of water
six hundred miles between the two groups of
Islands. He did not
have the time necessary to learn the Tongan
language.
Consequently, he would speak through an interpreter.
This is a slow way of
preaching the gospel to a large audience of
Latter-Day Saints and
investigators. There were three or four
Islands in the Tongan
group, where the Mission President traveled.
On each Island, he
would speak through an interpreter.
We used a young
Tongan man, who had been educated in the
college in New
Zealand and who spoke both Tongan and English
fluently, as our
official interpreter. He was married, with several
children. He was an
outstanding young man, with a good knowedge of the gospel.
We appreciated him
very much and always felt
that he interpreted
as correctly as he could.
In Tonga they have,
what is called, “talking men.” These are men
who are highly
respected and hold a great deal of influence with the
natives. Many of them
were members of our Church. In almost
every meeting, one of
these men would rise at his own discretion
and say something
like this, “Why is it that the Tongan people
cannot have a Mission
President who can speak our language?
Why do we have to
have a man from Samoa, who must use an
interpreter to speak
to us?”
I felt their
disapproval very keenly and understood their requests.
I felt, too, that
they should have their own mission. I heard this
request in almost
every meeting that was held that first month
and a half while I
was in Tonga. I felt sorry that I was not able
to communicate with
these fine saints, and it frustrated me that
I was not able to
speak their language.
Upon returning to the
Mission headquarters in Apia, Upolu,
Samoa, I felt
impressed to dictate a letter to President Joseph F.
Smith and his
counselors, something to this effect:
Dear President Smith
and Counselors,
I have just returned
from a tour of the Friendly Islands, or the
old Tongan Mission
and everywhere I went, this question was
put to me: Why can’t
we saints in Tonga have a mission of our
own and a President
who can speak our language?”
Sincerely your
Brother,
John A. Nelson
I am sure that these
brethren had been asked this question before
by other Mission
Presidents. In due time, an answer came
back, signed by all
three of the Presidency of the Church, to this
effect:
Dear President
Nelson,
We received your
letter relative to separating the Tongan Mission
from the Samoan
Mission and we appreciated your concern.
However, it is our
*recommendation that the time is not
right to divide this
Mission. We want you to go back to Tonga,
in the course of your
travels, and the Lord will bless you. We
desire you to
continue handling the affairs of the Tongan Mission
from your office in
Samoa.
President Joseph F.
Smith, Anthon H. Lund, Charles W.
Penrose First
Presidency, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-of Latter Day Saints
In about three months
from my first visit to Tonga, I boarded the
good old steamship,
Sonoma, from America. After about three
days of sea-sickness,
stopping here and there at small islands to
unload cargo, I
arrived at Vavau, the first Island of the Tongan
group. It usually
took from one month to six weeks to accomplish
my work, according to
the schedule of the boats. I had in my mind
the instructions that
the First Presidency had given me: “Return
to Tonga and the Lord
will bless you.’’
I felt very humble
and weak as I contemplated our Conference
meetings and the fact
that I again had to speak through the interpreter
bothered me greatly.
It was very frustrating to me. I
would begin with a
few words, such as, “I am happy to be here
this morning,” then I
would have to wait for the interpreter to tell
them what I had said
in Tongan.
As our ship pulled
into the Vavau harbor, I looked down and
saw three of our
missionaries waiting to greet me. After a delay
of several hours,
while our luggage was inspected for any Samoan
coconut beetle that
might be carried in, I was allowed to go ashore
and Elder Jaynes, one
of the Elders who had come to greet me, said,
“President Nelson, I
have a meeting appointed on one of the little
Islands about a half-
mile from the Mainland. I am going out in
a row boat and would
like you to come and go with me.”
I immediately
answered, “Elder Jaynes, I would be very happy to
go with you tonight,
as I have no other meetings scheduled, but
I understand only a
very little of the Tongan language and can
speak only a few
sentences. I do not know enough of the language
to do you any good.
When we arrived at
the Mission Home, Elder Jaynes again approached
me with the thought
of going out to this little Island
with him. I again
turned him down, but it seemed as though he
would not let up on
the subject. Finally, I said, “Elder Jaynes, if
you want me to go so
much, I will, even though I cannot understand
or speak the
language.’’
Elder Jaynes had been
in the Islands about three years. He was
to return home to his
loved ones in America in a short time. He
had a very good
speaking knowledge of the language and he understood
the people in Tonga.
He was well-versed in the scriptures
on the first
principles of the gospel. All-in-all, he was an excellent
missionary.
It took about a half
hour to row out from the Mainland to the
little Island where
the meeting was to be held. Elder Jaynes had
been granted the
privilege of holding a meeting in the chapel of
the Church of
England. All of the people on this Island belonged
to this same church,
some three hundred in all. The Minister
had given his
permission, perhaps with a motive in his mind. He
could keep an eye on
the missionaries and hear what was told
to his people and he
did not want the missionaries to go into the
private homes to do
their proselyting.
The Church was one of
the long sugar-cane-thatched buildings
with lattice work all
around so that a person could enter the building
at any point. It was
much like the Salt Lake Tabernacle. The
people gathered when
the bell, or pate, sounded. In that country,
the people all
attended church. It was not long until the beautiful
grass, immediately on
the outside of the church, was covered with
devoted members of
the Church of England. The minister and
a few others entered
and sat in the center of the building. The
remainder sat on the
grass, knowing that they could hear quite
well from the
outside.
Elder Jaynes took a
seat with me at one end of the large hall, near
the only door where a
person could enter standing straight up.
In fact, the little
bench on which we sat, was the only seat in the
church. The natives
always sit cross-legged on the floor, with fine
mats under them. I
was sitting near the door, with Elder Jaynes
on my left.
The “saints” all
joined in a hymn Elder Jaynes suggested. The
Islanders all love to
sing, especially in large groups at a church
meeting. He then
offered a nice prayer and while I could not understand
the words, I felt the
spirit of it. A second song was sung,
after which Elder
Jaynes gave a discourse on the first principles
of the Gospel.
When he had finished
his sermon, he told the people that President
John A. Nelson, of
the Latter-Day Saints Mission with headquarters
in Apia, Samoa, was
going to speak to them in the Samoan
language, since he
did not understand or speak Tongan. These
people did not
understand Samoan, any more than I understood
Tongan. Since the
Islands are a distance of 600 miles apart, it
was very rare to see
a Tongan man or woman in Samoa.
As I arose to speak,
a woman appeared in the doorway to my
right. I motioned for
her to come inside. Since she was a Tongan
woman, I assumed she
had come to attend the meeting. She shook
her head, indicating
that she did not wish to sit down. Consequently,
left her standing
near me in the doorway. Elder Jaynes
later said that he
did not see her.
I had thought I would
give a few sentences of greeting in the Tongan
language and then
switch to Samoan. Just as I had ended the
few sentences I knew
in Tongan, intending to switch to Samoan,
the woman in the
doorway seemed to give me the words of the
Tongan language.
I did not hesitate for a single word.
I continued speaking in
the Tongan language. It was as though
I could see the words
as they came from her mouth, from her
lips, to me and I
grasped them and went right on
speaking in Tongan.
It was a revelation
to these 300 or more people who were sitting
on the grass and in
the chapel. Those who were sitting on the
outside began to come
in. They realized that I had not known
the Tongan language,
as Elder Jaynes had announced this fact
as he introduced me.
When the Lord gives a
gift, he doesn’t do it haphazardly. It is
given in its complete
form. I was speaking the Tongan language
as fluently as any
native. There was no hesitancy in my speech.
The natives were
astonished. Elder Jaynes looked at me in great
wonderment to realize
that I was speaking in Tongan.
I bear my testimony
to you, that I spoke to that group of people for
nearly an hour, in
their own language. I told them of the restored
gospel. I told them
of the Prophet Joseph Smith. I told them of
their lineage; that
they were Israelites and the Lord loves them.
Because of this love,
he had called missionaries to come 7,000
miles from America to
teach them the great plan of salvation. This
plan had been
restored to the earth in these latter days, through
the instrumentality
of the Prophet Joseph Smith.
After the people sang
one more beautiful song, Elder Jaynes closed
the meeting with
prayer. He thanked the Lord for our being there
and for the
experience we had just witnessed: the gift of tongues.
to a humble servant
of the Lord. It is one of the greatest testimonies
of my life.
After the meeting,
the minister came up and congratulated me.
I told him that the
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
has all of the gifts
and powers that were in the Church when
Christ was upon the
earth. I told him that the gift of healing
and all of the other
blessings enjoyed by the prophets of old, had
been re-established
and sent to the earth again for the benefit and
blessings of mankind.
He seemed to enjoy our discussion. However,
I realize that people
do not join the Church just because of
a miracle. I never
saw the woman in the doorway again. Elder
Jaynes repeated that
he had never seen her at all. There was a
beautiful spirit and
wonderful feeling of friendship and love felt
and expressed by
many.
The next day at our Conference, I
spoke fluently in the Tongan
language, not lacking for a word. I
did not need an
interpreter. The letter that I had
received from the First
Presidency of the Church, which said,
“Return to Tonga,
and the Lord will bless you,” was certainly
true. He did
bless me.
As we traveled from
Island to Island and from Branch to Branch,
many of the people
followed us. They were so eager to hear the
words of their
Mission President, who had been given the gift
of tongues, the gift
of the Tongan language. This was not only a
blessing to me, but
also to the Tongan people. I learned to read
the Bible translated
into the Tongan language and I studied so
that my pronunciation
would be perfected.
From that time on, I
never needed an interpreter to deliver my
messages to the
Tongan saints. I never heard again, the request,
“Why can’t we have a
Mission President who can speak our language?”
As true as I live
today, I bear testimony that the gospel
of Jesus Christ, as
revealed to us in this day and time, through
the instrumentality
of Joseph Smith, is true. It is the one andonly true plan of salvation that God
has revealed to the people
on earth today.
When I returned again
to Samoa, I wrote the First Presidency of
the Church of my gift
of the Tongan language, for it was indeed, a
gift. I have always
recognized this experience as the most precious
testimony and gift
that the Lord has ever given me.
There, Ruthie, is the
story you have requested of the Gift of the
Tongan language. I am
sending Joyce and Verda a copy of this
so that they can read
it also and rejoice that we are all members
of the Church of
Jesus Christ. I know that this is the only plan
God has given to His
children, whereby they might be saved in
His celestial
kingdom.
I love you, dear daughters,
Dad

1 comment:
What a great picture! And your post makes me want to go see a play!
Post a Comment