I think that everyone that reads my blog knows about my trip to Colorado and why I was there but I'll post a bit about it for memory's sake.
My second grandson, Gabe, has been fighting cancer for the last year. After lots of chemo failed it was decided that he needed bone marrow transplant. This required a five week stay with daily treatments in Denver. He was to have someone within 30 minutes of him 24/7. Because Cliff would not always be available I volunteered to go over for the 5 weeks and stay with Isaac and help where I could and let Shelly be with Gabe.
Shelly and Gabe were assigned to a two bedroom apartment with two king-sized beds and a descent kitchen and living room that was just a few blocks from the treatment center. She was given a very detailed cleaning list that was to be done daily as he was to be kept from every possible infection.
Cliff and Isaac went up to visit every week and I went up twice. (In fact, Cliff was training in North Denver at the end and having an apartment in Denver was really handy for him.)
Here are some pictures of Cliff, Shelly and Isaac taken on the day we arrived at the apartment in Denver.
It was quite a shock to see the Isaac when we arrived at their home from my plane. He has grown 5 inches this year.
Davis came to the airport with Shelly to pick me up when I arrived in September and then came down to the Springs and took me to lunch one day while Cliff and Isaac went to an Air Force football game. It was a pleasure to see him and the man that he has matured into.
The first few weeks that I was there were really crazy, rough times for Cliff. The company that he was working for seemed to be poorly managed and he would get a truck ready to go and the company had not paid so the mine wouldn't release it or a second driver wouldn't be available so he would need to drive to Houston and back by himself. During this time Cliff was also interviewing and talking with Cabelas in south Denver about an assistant manager's job. He eventually got it and spent my last two weeks there training in Nebraska and at a store in north Denver. I think it was be so wonderful for him and them that he will be home to sleep every night, will have a regular salary and will be doing something that he has a talent for.
One of the "perks" for me on this trip was getting a better chance to know Cliff. He was SO thoughtful, helpful, positive and considerate. I appreciate having him in the family.
Although I didn't get very much time with Shelly it was great to have the time that we did have. We haven't had a great deal of time together since she left Utah and that was a long time ago.
My two major efforts were trying to help Isaac with school and having some hot meals and treats available. Hopefully I was at least somewhat successful in that regard.
When I first got there I asked if they thought we could work it out so that I could leave 3 days early so that I could attend the Manti Utah Temple Devotional. This is held once a year and is held on the third floor of the temple in the Priesthood room that is seldom open and used. The new Temple President was being installed and Elder Anderson, an apostle was the main speaker.
As it worked out, Gabe got released early so they were home for two days before by flight.
I was hoping that I had a picture of the room that we were in but I don't. I basically covers the entire top floor of the building. We climbed up the 151 steps (six complete circles) that are in the tower that you can see in the picture to reach the room. It was dedicated 127 years ago n 1888.
We first heard testimonies from the outgoing President and Matron and then the new Matron spoke. She and I have many ties. Her parents and my parents we friends as BYU students forever ago. Mom used to accompany her dad on his violin and her mother was in Mom's club that lasted forever. Kaye and I played in the BYU symphony together and knew each other there and then when the Mildenhall's moved into our ward in Georgia her sister Carolyn and I became good friends and even played in a string quartet together. I'm looking forward to re-establishing at least some friendship with her. She and her husband were the directors of the Provo-MTC until just recently.
Next we heard from her husband Lon Nalley and then Apostle Anderson's wife. The final speaker was Elder Anderson.
I'm so grateful that I was able to be home and feel the spirit of that meeting. There are not words for me to describe what it felt like to be in that room full of worthy temple workers dressed in white listening to an Apostle of the Lord speak. There is no earthy feeling that can compare. How blessed we are.





1 comment:
We are so grateful you were able to come and help!
Post a Comment