Sunday, October 22, 2017

More of our last week trip

I did get a snapshot from the bus of the volcano after all.  The pictures from my phone just downloaded tonight. 

This was the bus that we rented and the group gathering to start the visit.
This is blurry because the bus was moving but we saw several women walking with huge loads on their heads and nothing in their hands. 

















                                                                                    H
We had lunch at a Swiss Restaurant.  This little home was beside it.  The breakfast menu had crepes but we were there mid-afternoon and Dad had ribs and I had ham. 


This little girl was making tortillas.  That pan of dough was about the size of my big bread pan and was heaped about double on top.  They were thick and very tasty.  

Across the parking lot from the restaurant was this little shop.  Behind the front items was a little shed full of lots of sweaters and tops.  Two of the sisters bought items. I'm going to wait a while to see if I really want things.



Friday was an amazing exception as far as temple work went. It was a holiday called "The Day of the Dead" which is a holiday where people remember their dead loved ones and celebrate their association. Apparently almost everything is closed for the day.  A Stake from about 2 hours away set the day as a temple day.  They started picking people up at 1 AM and we were over to the temple at 4:30 AM for the first shift.  I spent most of my time in the clothing rental (no charge) where almost all patrons get clothing.  It is packed with very short to tall and thin to wide dresses, slippers from size 5 to size 10 with socks and packets of three sizes.  By about 10 AM I was totally out of many sizes and was giving slips of mismatched sizes.  There are yardsticks attached to the sides of the counter window so I can measure the shoulder height for the size.  I have to ask them in Spanish the slipper size.  I finally wrote the numbers on a card and had them point.  Over 300 endowments had been completed by 11:30 and there were sisters standing in the hall waiting for initiatory.  Youth were in the baptismal font all day.  Over 1000 ordinances were completed during the day.  It was simply amazing.   

No comments: