Sunday, October 9, 2011

Winter Weather Came Too Soon



It has been a very busy week for us. Because of the weather change I dug most of 200 lbs of potatoes and sorted them and Mike has been putting up (and has nearly finished) his 10' x 12' greenhouse. We picked all of these tomatoes and were sad that so few of them were ready for canning when they had to be picked. We can leave them for a week and then if I can't can them on Saturday (after we get our time with Tracy) we'll just give them away.

I have frozen lots of corn, and a few beans, peas and blueberries and have canned chicken, pickles (5 kinds), two kinds of jam, tons of green beans, potatoes, sauerkraut, peaches and 7 quarts of tomatoes. I really want to can tomato juice and after we get home I'd like to do applesauce and apple slices. I've filled all of the pint jars but have lots of empty quarts.

Lanny asked me the other day what we plan to do with all of the food. Truthfully, we probably can't eat it all, especially in one year. But we feel strongly that we need to be prepared.

Don't you think it was wise of me to have such a large granite island? Where else could I ripen over 300 tomatoes?

No comments: