Thursday, November 23, 2017

Thanksgiving Day

Today is Thanksgiving Day.  It is not a holiday in Guatemala although you would think so in the grocery stores.  There are turkeys, stuffing, cranberries (both fresh and canned) and pumpkin (although we have only seen it in the huge #10 cans).  Because it is not a holiday to the people here the Temple is open and we will work our regular shift for this week which is 2:30- 9:00 PM.  All of the Temple missionaries will be having a Thanksgiving dinner at the Norman's on Sunday afternoon.

I am so full of thanks, however, that tears are in my eyes.  I received a SKYPE note from a student that I taught in China eight years ago.  He was not one of my best students but he tried SO hard.  He wrote to me after with some personal struggles and I basically gave him answers from the gospel.  He is teaching English to primary school children in his home countryside (a wonderful spot for him).  He sent the following message today to wish me a Happy Thanksgiving.

"Thank you, teacher.  It's you that make me understand what should I do and what should I not do in my life.  Now I know it is important to do something meaningful in my whole life, that is to teach more students the real English, help them to solve any problems when they study the English.  So in such a special day, I want to express my sincere thanks for you.  Thank you"

No one could make me believe that my time is China was not well spent.

We had a little sister come and clean today.  Apparently her husband was a Bishop but found a girlfriend and she is trying to support a family by cleaning.  This is our first time to have her but we paid about $21 for two and a half hours of heavy cleaning. . She has moved my bed, fridge and range and swept under them.  My shoes are lined up in my closet.  She went through my fridge and threw out old things. I don't think she has left anything untouched.  The washer is presently washing up the towels and rags she used. Boy, do I need her to come to Mt. Pleasant with me.  I've never seen such thorough cleaning.   I asked her to come thinking I would be serving her but BOY what a job she has done for us.  

I am thankful to serve in the Temple.  They are putting out poinsettia's and a nativity that I will get a picture of and attach.  I love the people and feel their love even though we can't communicate with words.  Several have come up and have pretended to conduct music with a smile on their faces.

I am thankful for our Savior and the atonement and for my wonderful family.

I feel so blessed. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad you had a happy thanksgiving,
Kate