Thursday, January 21, 2010

Our magnicent 20 day trip! Day 1 Shanghai

Today we flew from Qingdao to Shanghai. Shanghai is China's largest city and the commercial and financial center of the country. It is also a port. The city is divided by the Huang Pu river. The older part of the town where the hotel we stayed in, the wonderful museum and the shopping area called the Bund Promenade are is on the one side of the river. The other side is all new in about the last 10-20 years. It is full of high rises, American and European companies and elegant shops.

The museum was a wonderful artwork itself and had lovely galleries of jade, wood, stone, furniture, ceramics, currency, bronze, painting, and calligraphy. I have many pictures that I'll share with those who are interested but will share a few here.

In the evening we went to the famous Bund area ( a high priced junk area for tourists and I overpaid for some bracelets that I found much cheaper many times on the trip. The tiger is made if Pepsi and orange pop cans. It is about 20' x 15' x 10'.







1 comment:

Laurel said...

So glad you got to see all that you did! Looks like an AMAZING once in a lifetime trip!!!