Thursday, October 10, 2013

Quebec City, St. Jean-Port Joli, Hartland, Frederickton

We really started recognizing our Tender Mercies with this day.  As I think back there were others like having a free hotel shuttle to take us to and from the train in Boston that we simply didn't pay attention to.  This one would have been wrong not to appreciate.
I had made reservations month ago for a Quality Inn in Quebec but when I started checking to confirm reservations I realized that it only had double beds and no breakfast.  I had made the reservation through Expedia and knew that I had time to change the reservation.  I was really happy to find a Comfort Inn on the other side of the river that was much newer and nicer and had a good breakfast for $29 cheaper per night.  The hotel was in the town of Levis, Quebec.
Lanny was driving and woke both me and Shirley up and saying that he supposed that we were getting near to our location and wondered if I had information.  We realized that we needed to get off at the very next exit which we were almost to.  We could see the Comfort Inn sign soon after we crossed over the freeway and went to check on our rooms.
We knew that we couldn't check in until 3:00 but thought that they could give us information about the ferry over to Quebec and other things.  When I checked with the girl at the desk they had a reservation for Lan and Shirley but nothing for us.  I told her that was impossible because it was me that had made the reservations and the girl had asked me for the second name just to simplify check in.  Apparently she did write down the second name but forgot to do mine.   Finally she found our name on another Expedia list and assigned us a room.  Finally she found our name on another Expedia list and assigned us a room. 
Not only had we turned just in time but the hotel was rather full and even though we technically had reservations there might not have been a room had we not stopped at 11 AM.
She gave us directions to a ferry that took us over to Quebec City and we didn't have to drive over, find our way and find a place to park.  It also gave us a wonderful view of Old Quebec which is what we wanted to see. 
The Fairmont Chateau Frontenac is a city icon and is rich in history.  We took the escalated stairs up to it and walked around but it is only open to customers.








One of the very interesting things about the city to me was the different types of display and artwork. The sides of two huge buildings were painting showing life activity in the period.

We thought that this mannequin in the window of a fur store was pretty clever.

 There were bus loads and bus loads of people everywhere.  It was certainly a tourist town.
Mike and I were hungry soon after we got off the ferry and stopped at a spaghetti place.  We had a dish with bow tie noodles, salmon and a cream sauce.  I'd love to recreate it.






We left from our hotel in Levis then next morning and went to an amazing little town that is full of wood carvers.  We visited a museum where I took most of these pictures and then went to the studio of a woman doing wonder wood sculpture.  I thought Lanny would like it but he was elated.  He want to go back and spend some real time.  It was a picturesque setting right along a river. 

 We watched the artist doing more of these Norman Rockwell carvings.  I have pictures of about 8 of them in my picture file. 



 This one was carved from a burl on a log. 

This was the longest driving day of our trip.  We left here and headed into New Brunswick.  After about 220 miles we stopped at Hartland to take pictures of the worlds longest covered bridge.




We drove on the remainder of the 78 miles to Fredericton and spent the night in my favorite B&B of the trip which I'll show you tomorrow. 

1 comment:

Laurel said...

I take it back, it's Quebec that's on my bucket list, not Montreal. Now I want to go even worse!